Saturday 23 June 2012

My Rio Journey comes to an end


Kathleen Leewai on Right


By Kathleen Leewai, an intern at SPREP with the Communications and Outreach Unit.  Kathleen was jointly funded by PACMAS and Conservation International Pacific Island Program as part of a professional development activity.  Kathleen produced news articles on Rio+20, helped document with images and provided support for a Pacific side event featuring 5 Pacific leaders.  This is Kathleens final blog post about her journey.

"This is my last day in Rio; we’re starting the voyage back to Apia tonight.

It has been an unbelievable experience for so many reasons, but it has also taught me a lot about what’s happening in the world and where I fit in.

Some of the highlights of this journey have been meeting some incredible people from all over the globe and working with some very talented people, not to mention coming halfway across the world and seeing as much as I could! I don’t know when I’ll be in this neck of the woods again so I’m going to savour my last moments in Rio with relish.

As daunting as this trip has been, seeing it come to an end is also quite sad. Nevertheless, it’s homeward bound from here on, with a long, long, journey back to Apia. There’s no hopping across the pond for this one; we’re travelling the same route we took to get here.

The funny thing is, whenever I see these beautiful advertisements about travelling overseas, especially ads for airlines, it always looks so glamourous and comfortable. That’s only because they never show economy class! However, believe me when I say that for some trips, it’s definitely worth it.

See you back in the ocean!"



No comments:

Post a Comment